Director of Development
The Office of Institutional Advancement seeks an individual to join our small dynamic office supporting the mission of Lab School. The Director of Development will report to and serve as a strategic partner with the Director of Institutional Advancement, designing and implementing the fundraising programs of The Lab School in annual giving, major and planned giving, and corporate and foundation philanthropy, implementing best practices in cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement and stewardship of current and potential donors.
The candidate should possess a commitment to The Lab School of Washington’s mission, thrive in an environment of self-direction and multiple tasks, have a sense of humor, and have the ability and talent to build relationships with colleagues, alumni, parents, board members, volunteers, and other members of The Lab School community.
The Director of Development will work with the Director of Institutional Advancement and the Head of School in support of the objectives of the Development Department. This person will also work closely with the Director of The Lab School (Annual) Fund, the Director of Events and Alumni Engagement and the Advancement Services Coordinator to manage the solicitation of major gift prospects for The Lab School Fund and the annual Gala, as well as refining plans for cultivation and stewardship. This role will have two major areas of focus:
- Gala Sponsorship/Table Sales - for 35 years, The Lab School has produced a unique highly successful annual Gala, honoring outstanding adults with learning differences, supported by our parents and alumni parents, and also by the greater Washington area corporate community. The Development Director will lead the effort to secure corporate and individual support for the event in the form of sponsorships and table sales, including forming and directing a team of volunteers in this effort with clear fundraising goals.
- Major Giving - Develop individual, corporate and foundation donor relationships, create solicitation activities, and steward high-capacity prospects across all aspects of Lab’s fundraising efforts.
Key responsibilities will include:
- identifying and prioritizing major gift prospects;
- direct solicitation of major gift prospects;
- developing and guiding volunteer committees for Gala sponsorship and table sales
- cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors
- tracking solicitors and managing major gift solicitations;
- verifying pledge commitments and gift agreements;
- overseeing pledge collection and planning donor recognition;
- researching and writing correspondence for the Director of Institutional Advancement and the Head of School;
- collaborating with development colleagues, volunteers, faculty and staff in the stewardship of donors
- performing other major donor activities as required.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- Bachelor’s degree required;
- 5 years fund-raising experience, preferably in an independent school;
- a proven track record of donor solicitation and demonstrated success soliciting and closing gifts;
- experience with large event/sponsorship fundraising preferred
- appreciation of The Lab School’s mission and the ability to effectively communicate it;
- outstanding verbal and written communication skills;
- excellent organizational skills;
- ability to work effectively independently and as part of a team;
- experience with Blackbaud/Raiser’s Edge or comparable fund-raising database;
- willingness and ability to work/attend evening events, as needed;
- excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders at all levels;
- an ability to work collaboratively and make an impact in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
- outstanding judgment and maturity;
- a very high level of energy, creativity and flexibility.
This position offers competitive salary and benefits. Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and 3 references by March 22 to: Marty Cathcart, Director of Institutional Advancement, at email@example.com