Ages 8–12 (groups of 2–4 students depending on age and skill)
4 Week Program, July 1-July 26
Times (choose one): 7:30am–8:30am, 1:30pm–2:30pm, 2:30pm–3:30pm, 3:30pm–4:30pm
NEW! Comprehension Capers
Calling all detectives, it is time to put your sleuthing skills to work! Through small-group instruction, students will hone their language comprehension skills while solving mysteries and “crimes.” During hands-on, engaging activities, students will work collaboratively to gain experience deriving deeper meaning from information provided in order to draw reasonable conclusions. Students will:
- extract, analyze, and synthesize facts.
- identify and summarize key information.
- develop observation, inference, and prediction skills.
- practice deductive reasoning skills.
- cite textual and/or observational evidence that supports analysis and conclusions.
Future newscasters, authors, playwrights and filmmakers, look no further – organized storytelling is critical for your success! Within a small group, students will focus on generating well-formed and organized narratives while exploring favorite stories, movies, and/ or current events. A variety of methods and materials including Mindwing Concepts Story Grammar Marker® and Six Second Stories® will be introduced. Students will:
- learn the critical components of a narrative.
- improve the ability to share personal stories in a concise, organized fashion.
- identify key information from stories and develop succinct summaries.
- engage with peers to continue conversations regarding personal narratives.